This gluten free, dairy free and wheat free lentil potty pie recipe by Integrative Nutritionist, Chef and Author of ‘Heal Your Gut’ Lee Holmes is comfort food with a healthy twist and a great way to sneak in some vegies for those fussy eaters. Love it!
Ingredients for filling
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion chopped finely
- 1 ½ cups of mushrooms chopped
- 1 zucchini diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Good pinch oregano
- 2 tsps. dried thyme
- Celtic Sea salt
- 1 cup carrots diced
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup lentils (rinsed)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (sugar and additive free)
- 1 TBS wheat free tamari
- ½ cup frozen or fresh peas
Ingredients for Cauliflower Mash
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast flakes
Cauliflower mash method
- Put the florets in a steamer over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, covered, until tender — the florets can be verging on soft, but shouldn’t be falling apart.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a blender or food processor and add butter, yeast flakes, a pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
Potty Pies Method
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Make cauliflower mash and let stand
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat
- Add the onions, and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes
- Add the mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, oregano, thyme, and season and cook for 5 mins
- Add carrots, lentils and stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook for 20 minutes until stock has evaporated, then stir in tamari, and peas
- Transfer mixture to individual pie dishes
- Gently spoon the pre made cauliflower mash over the top, scraping a fork across the surface to create little trenches in the mash.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the mash has a crispy top
- Remove the pie from the oven
- Yum, Yum! Enjoy!!
From posting recipes and sharing her story to help others, Lee Holmes is today a best-selling author and the founder of website www.superchargedfood.com
She has an Advanced Certificate in Nutrition, is a Certified Health Coach (Institute of Integrative Nutrition), Hatha Yoga Teacher and Whole Foods Chef; and her books, the highly successful Supercharged Food series, have been created for anyone looking to overhaul their diet.
Today Lee appears regularly on Australian television and in publications both here and abroad, including as the resident Healthy Food Expert for www.lifestyle.com.au and her blog becoming one of the leading health and lifestyle blogs in Australia (and winner of the 2013 BUPA Health Influencer Awards), focused simply on making realistic and small changes every day.